Being Beta

Exercises in the higher banter with One of 26. Elsewhere called 'poet of adland'. By a whipple-squeezer. Find out why being beta is the new alpha: betarish at googlemail dot com

Friday, January 23, 2009

I've heard this somewhere before

The insightful Martin Kettle today describes David Cameron's speech about 'progressive conservatism' to Demos yesterday as important. In particular he noted that:

Cameron's speech may have sounded as if it was about political philosophy. Yet it was at least as much a speech about politics. In particular, it was a speech about how Cameron wants to govern. Towards the end, Cameron makes it clear - I paraphrase - that he wants to campaign for office as a progressive conservative and then, in office, to govern as a progressive conservative.


Now, I seem to remember a certain other politician of recent times who came to office, claiming that he would govern in a similar way; as a 'compassionate conservative'.

And look how well that went. As Bill Clinton said of the philosophy, it boiled down to:

"I want to help you. I really do. But you know, I just can't."


Can Cameron break that expectation? I'm not convinced.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home