Being Beta

Exercises in the higher banter with One of 26. Elsewhere called 'poet of adland'. By a whipple-squeezer. Find out why being beta is the new alpha: betarish at googlemail dot com

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Commercial: When Aleksandr Orlov met James Joyce

Or maybe it's the other way round. You see, I've been skipping my way through Joyce's collected Poems and Shorter Writings (which really is a treat by the way, the Epiphanies especially), and blow me if I didn't stumble across this:

Simples

O bella bionda,
Sei come l'onda!


Of cool sweet dew and radiance mild
The moon a web of silence weaves
In the still garden where a child
Gathers the simple salad leaves.

A moondew stars her hanging hair
And moonlight kisses her young brow
And, gathering, she sings an air:
Fair as the wave is, fair, art thou!

Be mine, I pray, a waxen ear
To shield me from her childish croon
And mine a shielded heart for her
Who gathers simples of the moon.


So, do you think Orlov's tome is suitably filled with the dramatic lyric and the ironies of time?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Clarke said...

Most excellent poetic ferretings dear Beta.

4:24 pm  
Blogger BetaRish said...

Thanking you sir; which reminds me that I need to get round and post about the links between Auden and Everything Everything...

4:39 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home